Monday, July 6, 2015

Wisdom in Parenting

 
Behold, children are a gift of the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward. Ps. 127:3
 
 
At the start of this discussion on parenting, I need to embrace the truth of this verse.  Do I accept my children as a gift from the Lord?  Do I see them as His blessing in my life?  In the everydayness of life with kids, this truth must remain in the forefront of my mind.  There will be times when my kids test my patience, frustrate me, and even make decisions I may wish they wouldn't.  These times will accompany times when they bring joy and encourage me.  But no matter which circumstance I find myself in, the truth doesn't change.  Regardless of their actions or attitudes, children come from God as a reward.
 
Many verses in Proverbs address my role as a father.  I want to share four principles that caught my attention in my study. 

     1) I need to give instruction to my children.
This comes through in a number of ways.
Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and do not forsake your mother's teaching.  Indeed they are a graceful wreath to your head, and ornaments about your neck.  1:8,9
For whom the Lord loves He reproves, even as a father, the son in whom he delights.  3:12
Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.  22:6
The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child who gets his own way brings shame to his mother.  Correct your son, and he will give you comfort, he will also delight your soul.  29:15,17
These verses show the importance of speaking truth into the lives of my children.  This benefits both them and me.

     2) I need to practice what I preach and lead by example.
I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths.  4:11
A righteous man who walks in his integrity--how blessed are his sons after him.  20:7
My children benefit from me investing time in them; walking through life with them, and demonstrating how to walk in right paths.  It blesses them when I live by the principles I teach them.

     3) I have a responsibility to provide for my family.
A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children...13:22a
House and wealth are an inheritance from fathers...19:14a
Know well the condition of your flocks, and pay attention to your herds; for riches are not forever, nor does a crown endure to all generations.  When the grass disappears, the new growth is seen, and the herbs of the mountains are gathered in, the lambs will be for your clothing, and the goats will bring the price of a field, and there will be goats' milk enough for your food, for the food of your household, and sustenance for your maidens.  27:23-27
These verses challenge me.  How do I balance caring for my family, meeting their needs, and responding to other needs around the world?  Can I build up my bank account so that I have money to leave behind when there are people around me starving?  The verses in chapter 27 tell me the importance of keeping track of my financial condition.  In this way I measure the resources available for my family's day to day provision.

     4) I must speak positive words to my children.
The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice, and he who begets a wise son will be glad in him.  23:24
Not only do my kids need to hear instruction from me, but they need to know I notice when they make right choices and hear my words of approval.

The challenges of parenting come in many forms.  I rejoice that God invites me to ask for wisdom, and promises to give it generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment