Monday, April 9, 2012

HE IS RISEN!

HE IS RISEN!

That phrase has echoed across the centuries as a shout of triumph for all who believe in Jesus. Once again yesterday it was heard by many of us. What were you thinking as you heard? Was it cause for rejoicing...reflection...disappointment? 2 Cor. 5:17 says, "Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." And in Rom. 6:4 we read, "Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life."

I don't know about you, but at times those words are very convicting. I look at my life and wonder why there's not more evidence of newness. Why is it that the old things, which are supposed to have passed away, continue to show up in an action, a word, or even a thought? What is needed in this pursuit of being imitators of God? Is there anything I can do? The short answer is "No!"

Unfortunately, I often make it about me. More effort, more activity, more commitment on my part. But the verse in Romans says that "as Christ was raised...through the glory of the Father" we are able to walk in this new life. And 2 Cor. 5:18 goes on to say, "Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ, and gave us the ministry of reconciliation,". Could Jesus have raised Himself from the grave? It required the power of the Father to bring about the resurrection. It was another display of His glory. And verse 18 is a reminder that all we have is a gift from God.

There is a need for balance. We read in Phil. 2:12,13, "So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." We have a responsibility to obey. But God is the One who brings change, who makes all things new. Just as Jesus was dependent on the Father as He walked on this earth, I want to walk in that total dependence today. In light of His death, burial, and resurrection, I want to be able to say with Paul, "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;" Gal. 2:20.

Let's show the world the glory of the Father by walking in newness of life!

1 comment:

  1. John,
    These are some good thoughts. He is sufficient. I like it.

    ReplyDelete