Saturday, February 3, 2024

Whose side are you on?

 I've been reading through Joshua with my wife recently.

God tells us that all Scripture has been written for our learning.

And as I have read about the experiences of the Israelites as they entered the promised land,

the things God is teaching me are very relevant.

One of the lessons that has stuck out to me and continues to challenge me is found in chapter 5.

The people have crossed over the Jordan River, and as an act of obedience, the men have been circumcised.

After this is accomplished, and while they are healing, some significant events take place.

They celebrated the Passover

They ate from the produce of the land

The provision of manna ceased

And Joshua had an encounter with God as he took a walk.

I want to focus on that encounter.

Joshua sees a man standing near Jericho with a drawn sword in his hand

I think if I had been Joshua, I would have turned aside

but Joshua approached the man and asks a question:

"Are you for us or for our adversaries?"

This is not a surprising question. After all, they have come to drive out the people who are living in this land that has been promised to them.

But the response is quite interesting:

"No, rather I indeed come now as captain of the host of the Lord."

Joshua's immediate response is one of recognition.

He realizes he is in the presence of God, and falls on his face on the ground.

Joshua then asks a second question:

"What has my Lord to say to his servant?"

and he is told to remove has sandals because he is on holy ground

The lessons here for me are twofold

First, how do I approach God when I am having conflict with someone?

I think too often, I'm like Joshua, asking God to pick a side, when I should be asking Him what He is wanting to teach me.

Many times, when facing conflict, I'm trying to convince God to change the other person.                    (more about this in a future post)

I'm more about pushing for my agenda than listening to God's voice

But God is seeking obedience and His glory.

We see this over in chapter 7 when God uses the people of Ai to defeat the Israelites because there is sin in the camp.

If He was just for making my life more pleasant and victorious, He could ignore my sin and always let me walk in victory.

But He knows that at times I need discipline because of my disobedience.

Thus the response from the captain of the Lord's host:

not taking sides, just accomplishing My will!

And so I'm learning to respond to conflict differently. (it's a slow process!!)

Second, how well am I showing reverence for God?

When was the last time I was down on my face before the Lord?

How often am I asking God to speak?

Sure, I'm spending time reading God's word.

But am I really paying attention?

Am I taking the time to ponder and meditate on the things God is saying?

Whose side am I on?


No comments:

Post a Comment