Friday, March 16, 2012

food that satisfies

"In the meanwhile the disciples were requesting Him, saying, 'Rabbi, eat.' But He said to them, 'I have food to eat that you do not know about.' The disciples therefore were saying to one another, 'No one brought Him anything to eat, did he?' Jesus said to them, 'My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to accomplish His work."

You are what you eat! Ever heard that? I've heard it a few times, and usually, the picture that comes to mind is not a pleasant one! How would you like to become a brussel sprout, or a chicken leg? Seriously though, as I look at Jesus' words to His disciples, I get a very different picture. The disciples were concerning themselves with some pieces of bread and maybe some fish, and wanted Jesus, who said of Himself that He was the bread of life, to be on that same level with them. But He wants them to understand hunger in a different light. Jesus was helping them to see His purpose in coming to this world. More than satisfying physical needs, His real purpose centered around bringing people into right relationship with the Father. This reconciliation process was/is the only true source of satisfaction. Because of His relationship with God the Father, He acted in obedience to His will. This brings a satisfaction no physical food ever could. The result of eating that food will be that I become more like Jesus. Now that's a picture I don't cringe at.

What am I hungry for? As I conclude this study of Jesus in Samaria, I'm coming to a point of understanding that Jesus had to come to this earth. Oh yes, He could have stayed in heaven and continued to enjoy the glories associated with that position, but God had a divine plan and He willingly participated in it. He came to bring life and light to a world that was dying. And now we have been given the commission of making the message of reconciliation known. Will we make that our food today? If so, we will know true satisfaction!

Next I will be looking more at this commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment