Friday, March 2, 2012

a lie about greatness

"You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You..." John 4:12. What a question this woman throws on the table at this point in the conversation. But it is a question many of us ask. A question based on deception. What do we believe about greatness? What marks greatness in an individual, a situation, or a thing? One of the most overused words in our culture today is "awesome." I hear everything from people to cars to athletic moves to animals being described as awesome. Scripture tells us that God is awesome--He causes us to be in awe of who He is and what He does. Whenever people in the bible encountered God, there was a sense of reverential fear. But this woman expresses what appears to be disdain for Jesus. She seems to be saying, "Our father Jacob was great, but who are You?" And I wonder if we have some of that same disdain in our approach to God.

John the baptizer had quite a few people following him, and many felt he was a great person. In fact, when others began to follow Jesus, they were offended. They failed to see what John saw. He recognized greatness. He had told them Jesus was coming, and that he wasn't even worthy to tie Jesus shoes! And when questioned about those following Jesus, his response is one we would do well to echo. "He must increase, but I must decrease." John knew that Jesus was Lord of all, that there was nothing that would stand in His way. And he rejoiced in those who also recognized Jesus as Lord and followed Him.

Where do I stand? Am I with the Samaritan woman, questioning God's greatness? You are not greater than _______________(fill in the blank--sickness, emotional pain, job loss, etc.) are You? Have I been deceived to the point of believing there is anything bigger than/too difficult for God? Or am I on the side of John, who understood how great God is, and encouraged others to know Him in that same way? I pray that I would grow in my understanding of God's greatness, and truly be in awe of Him alone.

Let me not be deceived by the lie that anything is greater than You, O Lord. Let me be a proclaimer of Your power and majesty. To You belong all honor and praise. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment