Monday, June 1, 2015

The Value of Wisdom

     What price do I put on wisdom?  Will I make sacrifices to obtain it?  How do I view its impact on my life?
     "How blessed is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding.  For its profit is better than the profit of silver, and its gain than fine gold.  She is more precious than jewels; and nothing you desire compares with her."  Prov. 3:13-15
     Do I agree with this statement?  Does my life reflect this kind of devotion to obtaining wisdom?  The last line of this passage hits me hard.  Nothing I desire compares with wisdom!  In another passage it says that nothing that is desirable can compare with wisdom.  That doesn't leave much room for argument.  Wisdom trumps everything.  It meets my needs more than money ever could.
     Why?  What gives wisdom its value?  I find four things as I read through Proverbs that result from pursuing wisdom.  I'll call them benefits.  First, if I seek after wisdom, it brings security.  I can walk confidently and without fear if I have wisdom as my companion.  (1:33a; 3:23; 14:3)  Also, having wisdom brings me favor with others. I receive honor when I act wisely.  (4:8,9; 14:35; 17:2)  Another benefit of wisdom shows itself in increasing the quality of my life.  When I walk in the way of wisdom, I truly live.  (8:35; 15:24)  Lastly, even though wisdom is more valuable than gold or silver, scripture indicates that wisdom has the potential to bring riches.  I would tend to think the wealth spoken of goes beyond mere monetary gain, but I can't deny that it does involve financial betterment.  (8:17-21)
     So I have a choice.  Will I agree with God and embrace the value of wisdom, or will I continue to lean on my own understanding?  Knowing the truth, why do I struggle with this decision?  I may have more foolishness in me than I care to admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment