Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Wisdom in Our Speech

 

Death and life are in the power of the tongue

Prov.18:21a
 
 
That's a strong statement.  It has far reaching implications.  It means I must decide what I will use my words for.  I have two options.  Either I speak words that build others up and better their lives, or I use my words to tear them down and bring death to relationships.
 
As I studied through the book of Proverbs, I noticed three things relating to my speech.  I saw that what I say indicates whether I prove myself foolish or wise.  But along with that, I observed that when I speak and how I communicate also factor into the equation. 
 
In regard to how I speak, words like gently, soothing, soft, pleasant, and sweet were used to describe wisdom in communication.
     15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath..."
     15:4 "A soothing tongue is a tree of life..."
     16:21 "...sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness."
     16:24 "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."
     25:15 "...a soft tongue breaks the bone."
These verses emphasize the benefit of making a conscious choice about how I use my words, the tone of what I say carries as much weight as the actual words.
 
As for when to speak, Proverbs also gives some clear instruction.
     15:28 "The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer..."
     17:27,28 "He who restrains his words has knowledge...Even a fool when he keeps silent, is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is considered prudent."
     18:13 "He who gives an answer before he hears, it is folly and shame to him."
     23:9 "Do not speak in the hearing of a fool..."
     25:11 "Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances."
     29:20 "Do you see a man who is hasty in his words?  There is more hope for a fool than for him."
     31:8 "Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all the unfortunate."
I see that when I open my mouth and when I don't say anything both communicate something about my level of wisdom.  These verses contain a call to caution in speaking.  I need to take time to respond rather than hastily blurting out words.  They instruct me to consider the people around me as a determination of whether to speak or not.  And they communicate that I must speak up when I see those less fortunate than me suffering.
 
Next time I will get into the dynamics of what I am instructed to say.
    


No comments:

Post a Comment