Sunday, June 28, 2015

Wisdom in our Speech--part 2

 

Death and life are in the power of the tongue...Prov. 18:21a

 

Last time I gave you a glimpse into what I learned about how and when to speak as I studied through Proverbs.  Today I want to share with you my observations about the importance of the content of my words when it comes to exercising wisdom and righteousness.
 
These verses capture the scope of this study and emphasize two significant factors.
     The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. 16:1
     He who guards his mouth and his tongue, guards his soul from troubles. 21:23
First, God desires to shape my speech.  If I allow Him to, He will put His words in my mouths.  This insures that what I say will be correct.  Secondly, the words I speak carry such importance, choosing them requires diligence.  This guarding of my words not only benefits those who hear them, but it also protects my own soul.
 
I see two contrasts given throughout the book concerning what flows from my mouth.  Life vs. death, and truth vs. lies.  Prov. 18:21a, which I've chosen as the keystone verse for the study brings out the contrast of life vs. death, and throughout the book it is developed.
     10:11,21a--The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence...The lips of the righteous feed many...
     11:9,11--With his mouth the godless man destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous will be delivered.  By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, but by the mouth of the wicked it is torn down.
     12:6,18--The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the mouth of the upright will deliver them.  There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
     13:3--The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; the one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.
     15:7--A soothing tongue is a tree of life, but perversion in it crushes the spirit.
     25:13--Like the cold of snow in the time of harvest is a faithful messenger to those who send him, for he refreshes the soul of his masters.
 
Consider these verses in the contrast between truth and lies:
     4:24a--Put away from you a deceitful mouth...
     8:6,7--Listen, for I will speak noble things; and the opening of my lips will reveal right things.  For my mouth will utter truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
     12:17--He who speaks truth tells what is right, but a false witness, deceit.
     13:5a--A righteous man hates falsehood...
     17:7--Excellent speech is not fitting for a fool, much less are lying lips to a prince.
     25:14--Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of his gifts falsely
 
I want wisdom to mark my speech.  If it does, my words will bring life and healing; they will proclaim truth to those who hear. 
 
Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips.  Ps. 141:3 

No comments:

Post a Comment