Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Wisdom in our work

Do you see a man skilled in his work?  He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men.  Prov. 22:29

As I studied through Proverbs on the subject of work, a number of principles rose to the surface.  This verse from chapter 22 gives a picture of the value of being good at what I do.  Who will benefit from my work, kings or just ordinary people?  My efforts in getting better at what I do determine how that question will be answered.  10:4 also promotes this idea.  "Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, but the hand of the diligent makes rich."

Many other verses in this book also warn against laziness:
       10:26-Like vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is the lazy one to those who send him.
       12:11-He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, but he who pursues vain things lacks sense.
       12:24-The hand of the diligent will rule, but the slack hand will be put to forced labor.
       19:15-Laziness casts into a deep sleep, and an idle man will suffer hunger.
       19:24-The sluggard buries his hand in the dish, and will not even bring it back to his mouth.
       20:4-The sluggard does not plow after the autumn, so he begs during the harvest and has nothing.
       22:13-The sluggard says, "There is a lion outside; I shall be slain in the streets!"
Do I practice diligence or laziness in my work?  Putting forth the effort needed to perform required tasks comes with reward, but the opposite is also true.  When I just stumble along, or make excuses for not doing my best, it indicates my lack of intelligence and prevents me from prospering.  Which will I choose?

6:6-8-Go to the ant, O sluggard, observe her ways and be wise, which, having no chief, officer or ruler, prepares her food in the summer, and gathers her provision in the harvest.
These verses speak to the need to be forward thinking in my work.  I shouldn't always depend on others to give me direction before starting a task.  When I see a need, I should do my part to meet it.

Another wisdom practice in my work centers around faithfulness.  Part of this has to do with not just looking out for myself, but rather contributing to those I work for.
     13:17-A wicked messenger falls into adversity, but a faithful envoy brings healing.
     25:13-Like the cold of snow in the time of harvest is a faithful messenger to those who send him, for he refreshes the soul of his masters.
Do I look for opportunities to bring refreshment and blessing to my boss?  Faithfulness will do that.

20:10-Differing weights and differing measures, both of them are abominable to the Lord.
20:23-Differing weights are an abomination to the Lord, and a false scale is not good.
These two verses bring out another principle for wisdom.  Fairness and justice in my business practices are a necessity.  Anything else meets with God's disapproval.  In fact, receiving less income by doing right is better than using questionable practices to make more.  16:8-Better is a little with righteousness than great income with injustice.

So I have choices in front of me.  If I plan to walk in the way of wisdom as a worker, I need to exercise diligence, self-motivation, faithfulness, and justice.  I know I need God's help in living these thing out.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment