Thursday, September 24, 2020

Thankful Thursday


This week has had its ups and downs

but one thing I've often said, and been convinced of through my life experiences is that there is always something for which I can be thankful

no matter the circumstances, regardless of how dark and bleak things may look, in spite of trying times and crushing weights

God is good all the time

and He continues to extend His grace to me in multiple ways

my common response when someone asks how I'm doing is, "Better than I deserve."

I don't say that lightly. I know what Scripture says

"The wages of sin is death..."

and like everyone else on this planet, I am a sinner, and as such I deserve death

so the fact that I'm alive and breathing and able to hear your question means that I'm doing better than I deserve

when I responded that way to a nurse this afternoon, she paused and then asked, "Really?"

sitting there, with my thumb encased in gauze and medical tape, I could honestly say, "YES!"

I'm thankful to still have a thumb on my left hand

it's a bit damaged at the moment, and will probably be a long time in healing, but I'm very grateful it is still attached and mostly functional

a bit of back story: Monday morning my thumb decided to tangle with my table saw blade. The blade won!

I'm thankful it just took off the end of my thumb, and didn't affect the fingernail or cut into the bone at all

on the up side, early Wednesday morning, we received a call from our daughter letting us know that our second grandson had arrived.  What wonderful news!

children are a blessing from the Lord, and I'm thankful God showered blessing on Carl and Allison by giving them another child to love and care for

I'm thankful I will get to meet William Owen Eldredge Sunday evening

my lawn mower decided it was tired and quit running on Saturday

my friend, Dean, stopped in this evening 

I'm thankful for the friends God has given me

they all contribute to my life in some way

as we were talking, I mentioned that I couldn't get my lawn mower to start and was describing what it was doing

we strolled around to the back of the house, and after a bit of tinkering, the mower started!

now I can mow my yard before we leave on our trip to Missouri!

while we messed with the mower, we also were able to talk about what's going on in our lives

I'm grateful I can share life with others, that I'm not on some kind of solo journey

God has given to me abundantly, not only what I need, but also much of what I want

I'm thankful for His patience and steadfast love for me

I'm thankful He doesn't deal with me as my sin deserves

I'm thankful God gives and sustains life!

I am a blessed man   

No comments:

Post a Comment