Thursday, July 5, 2018

Thankful Thursday

 
 
"These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full."-- Jesus
 
What a statement!  I'm thankful for the affect this statement by Jesus has on my outlook on life.
 
I had a conversation with a friend earlier this week, and when he asked me how I was doing, I replied that I was enjoying life.  His response was an encouragement to me.  He said, "John, you always seem to enjoy life."
 
I do!  There is so much to enjoy.  And God's desire for us is that we would be filled up with His joy which overflows into our joy.
 
That's one of the reasons I do this Thankful Thursday post.  It's a good reminder that I truly do have much to be thankful for, and it helps me keep the right perspective
 
To quote Jesus again; "I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly."
 
I'm so thankful for the abundance of life Jesus provides.  This doesn't mean that I will have lots of stuff.  But it does mean that life can be full of meaning and enjoyment. 
 
I've been spending a lot of time in the gospels this year; reading through them to grow in my knowledge of Jesus, and remind myself what imitating Him ought to look like.
 
The following are some of the statements Jesus made for which I am thankful
 
"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him?"
 
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."
 
"With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
 
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
 
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.  For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him."
 
"whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."
 
"I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life."
 
"I am the good shepherd; and I know My own, and My own know Me."
 
"I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die."
 
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me."
 
"If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him, and make Our abode with him."
 
"And whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it."
 
"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing."
 
I am so grateful that I serve a God who invests in me as His son.  He loved me enough to send Jesus to pay the penalty for my sin.  He continues to visit me with His grace and mercy.  He promises to always be with me, and to give me what I need for life and godliness.
 
I've only scratched the surface here, but I trust that these statements will resonate with you, and be a source of encouragement in your walk with the Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment