Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thankful Thursday

 
 
God is faithful
 
That's been a theme I've been able to focus on throughout this past year
 
It's Thanksgiving Day, a day set aside in our country as a day of "thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens"
 
As I took time today to reflect on the many ways God has demonstrated His grace to me this year, I'm humbled that He has chosen me to be His son, an adopted member of His family
 
I'm so thankful God delights in reconciling people to Himself
 
Thankful He sent Jesus to purchase redemption for me!
 
I'm grateful that redemptive work is ongoing, that God patiently molds and shapes me
 
Having an empty nest with kids scattered all across the country makes for a different feel around the holidays, but I'm thankful for a quiet day with my precious wife.  I'm so thankful for her and the life we share together.
 
When I lost my job at the beginning of this year, I had no idea what the road ahead would look like.  It had been over 20 years since I had to look for a job, or have an interview. 
 
But there was no sense of panic.  I fully believed that God had something for me and that in His timing, He would open that door and provide clear direction to walk through it
 
As I explored options, and had interviews, and heard no from either the company or sometimes from God Himself, it was a faith building time.  I'm very thankful God uses times like this to draw our hearts toward Him and reveal Himself to us
 
I'm thankful for the way He provided different work opportunities throughout the 7 months when I was between jobs.  There were no stressful moments.  There were a few times when I didn't understand the "no", but I knew God was directing.
 
Ps. 32:8 says, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you."
 
What a promise!  So thankful for the hope that verse brings to the dark moments when the road ahead is unclear.
 
And now I've been in my new job for almost 4 months, and I know it is God's provision for this stage of our lives.  It's a job filled with variety.  It is giving me opportunity to learn new skills.  And I find myself seeking God's direction on a daily basis for insight into how to efficiently work through projects I'm assigned.  I'm so thankful for the way He answers those prayers with specific and clear direction. 
 
I hope that for all of us, today was an opportunity to do more than just consume large amounts of food and watch football.  I hope that it was a time of rejoicing in the goodness and faithfulness of a God who although He dwells in heaven, He also indwells us by His Spirit.  He is Immanuel, God with us.
 
And for that I am eternally grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment