Thursday, November 12, 2020

Thankful Thursday


as I pause this evening and reflect on the goodness of my God I'm reminded of the ten lepers

all of them were healed, but only one returned to express his gratitude to Jesus

I find that it is very easy to be like those other nine

I'm full of requests for my Savior, but often am so focused on the next ask that I don't take the time to say thanks

I am thankful God hears and responds to my prayers

I'm thankful He doesn't always say yes

I'm thankful He knows my needs even better than I do, and sometimes recognizes that what I'm asking for would not be beneficial

I'm thankful God knows my heart

the prophet Ezekiel informs us that our hearts are deceitful and desperately wicked

and that is true

at times my heart tries to lead me down a path of destruction

but God is transforming my heart

He wants to give me a new heart that yearns for Him

but I need to receive that, not fight against it

God is mindful of the struggle 

Jesus Himself had that same struggle in the garden the night He was crucified

wanting an escape from what was coming, and yet submitting to the Father's will rather than pursuing His own

I'm thankful Jesus had that kind of obedience

thankful He went to the cross, took my sin and shame on His shoulders, experienced God's wrath over sin in my place

I'm thankful for the forgiveness that is available to me because of His sacrifice

I'm thankful God now sees me through the filter of Jesus' blood

thankful He separates me from my sin

I'm thankful God has given me everything I need for life and godliness

so grateful I can now walk in newness of life

I'm thankful God's mercy is new every morning

I'm thankful He is faithful

even when I'm faithless, He remains the same

I'm thankful God's truth is not dependent on my belief

His character does not allow for any shift

I'm thankful God is not an insecure being, hoping for the acknowledgement of His people

He is the same yesterday, today, and forever

He doesn't need me or anyone else to give Him a pep talk to continue being God

I'm thankful for God's word, living and active and piercing in its truth

thankful for the way God uses His word to guide my thoughts

thankful for the instruction He gives in His word

I'm thankful God is a generous giver

one of His good gifts to me is the friendships He has blessed me with

I'm thankful for those who walk this journey of life with me

thankful for the way God is using them to encourage me in my walk with Him

I'm thankful God has made me a part of His story

grateful He has called me out of darkness to experience His glorious light


No comments:

Post a Comment